Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mom's most popular cookie: Dahlia cookie

Here's the problem with liking to bake: Liking to eat what you bake. A short while before new year, I promised myself to lose some pounds that I begrudgingly gained since the 'Great Depression' period. I actually managed to lose a few pounds by taking off certain foods from my diet, mainly chocolates, chocolate cookies, chocolate milks and fast foods. It worked. I almost had a flat tummy for once...until I bought the oven. As much as I love my oven, it is guilty without contest the catalyst of my downfall from the good diet I practiced before. But to my defense, where's the fun if you don't get to eat what you bake, right? Right.

I've been refraining myself from baking too much. I mean I practically live alone. My housemates are seldom around. They don't mind about eating my baking experiment's end product. But I don't think they like eating as much as I do. Come to think of it, I hardly seen them eat at home. I'm the one always munching something in front of the TV. Hmm...

I don't have my family here with me to eat my baking goods either (or not really good baking goods). Just the other day, when the in-house clinic assistant asked me to update my emergency contact, I faltered. In the end, I used my work friend I'm close with as one. It is sort of a new experience for me because I've never used anyone other than my family members as an emergency contact.

Anyway, since I have a 3-days-weekend, I went for grocery shopping at Tesco on Thursday after work. I bought mostly baking ingredients and fruits and vegetabless, all the while avoiding the meat section. I figured since I'm going to eat what I bake, I might want to try to cut other things like red meat and chicken. My mind is definitely trying to make me betray myself. Even the chicken feet looked delicious! Well, I managed to stick to my plan and came home with giddy feeling. I'm always like that whenever I managed to not do what my mind asks me to do. Which is not often by the way.

So, after giving my oven a rest for one week, I baked again. This time I tried one of our family's favourite cookie recipes, Dahlia cookie. No, there's no dahlia needed in the recipe. It is called Dahlia cookie simply because of the shape is similar to the flower. But because I don't quite know how to use the thing to make the shape (what you called that cookie shaper thing anyway?), I ended up using a different shape. It tasted not bad. Almost like my mom's. Only next time, perhaps less wheat flour.


The cookies out of the oven. I didn't burn them! Well, burnt a few actually.

I wanna be skinny, but I can't keep my hands out the cookie jar.

Non-cookie related dinner. Note to self: Lay off the oily food next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment