Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pavlova

Pavlova. Heard of this dessert before? Not me. I was clueless as what pavlova is. When I asked for recipes from my friends and one of them suggested pavlova, I thought it was a type of dance. Some sort of Russian dance. Turned out, I was right about the Russian part. But only that.

For those who don't know (though I think I was the only one clueless here), pavlova is a meringue cake with a light, delicate, crisp crust and a soft sweet marshmallow centre originated from God knows where. The Australians and New Zealanders are still fighting over who was responsible for this culinary invention. For all I know, it could be created by a couple, the husband being an Australian and the wife a New Zealander. It's possible, isn't it?

Anyway, the reason I'm writing about pavlova is because 2 days ago I bought lots of eggs and try my hands at baking it. Since I didn't know how it's supposed to taste like (still don't know) and judging from my ability to ruin even a simple recipe, also taken into consideration that it is almost customary for me to burn things I bake, I tried one recipe where I can prepare it in individual serving. I made 4 very cute individual pavlovas instead of a big one. Of course being a kitchen dimwit, I burnt them a little. Sure looked a bit like poop (I'm sorry), but it actually tasted quite good. Like marshmallow. And pretty addictive too. I ate that 4 very cute individual pavlovas by myself. On the same night. Impressed? Wait till you see me finishing a whole batch of cookies while watching TV.

Anyhow, below are some photos from the pavlova experiment.

Behold. The burnt pavs.

Burnt, close and personal.
I'm clueless at decorating too. Don't judge me.

And because I'm a chocoholic, I did this.

No comments:

Post a Comment